Address: Herrgårdsvägen 9, 91532 Robertsfors
The museum shows the growth of industrialism from 1758 until the middle of the 20th century and how the small farming village of Edfastmark on the Rickleån river became Robertsfors ironworks. Housed in a restored engine shed, electric trains and carriages from the end of the 19th century are also included in the collection.
Construction of the railway started in 1875 and was completed in 1899. With the track being electrified as early as 1900, the era of the steam train was very short. On the other hand, this development meant that the ironworks railway in Robertsfors was, in its day, the world’s northernmost narrow-gauge electrified railway! Track width is 750 mm, a rather uncommon gauge in Sweden.
In the beginning, iron goods were transported from the works in Robertsfors to Sikeå’s harbour. When ironworking stopped, transport increasingly shifted to wood and paper pulp.
In the 1940s and 50s, the railway’s main cargo was timber. This was phased out in 1961 when timber rafting on the Rickleån river stopped.
In the 1990s, an enthusiastic band of idealists started the rebuilding of track and railway stock. Now, on around 700 m of rails, there are a number of engines and carriages that can be run and displayed.
|Saturday 26 aug 2017||12:00 - 16:00|
|Sunday 27 aug 2017||12:00 - 16:00|